Our Sixth Form
At SWB Academy, we have high expectations for all students who enter our Sixth Form and aim to prepare them for the future demands of Higher Education and the workplace. The Academy provides a caring environment with an active pastoral and careers support system to enable students to maximise their potential and make the right choices about their future career paths.
Although a high level of academic success is the key objective, the Sixth Form team works equally hard to help develop students’ skills, character and level of independence. We want to make their time with us as rewarding and enjoyable as possible so that they can have a successful Sixth Form life.
The Sixth Form team provide advice, information and guidance to help students achieve their goals. We want them to feel valued as individuals and we will make sure that we listen and provide a programme of study to meet their individual needs.
Students receive individual support from Form Tutors, Subject Teachers, Achievement Leaders and all of the Sixth Form team to make sure that they can do well in their studies and also to challenge them to reach their potential. We offer careers guidance and extensive one to one support when applying to university, for an apprenticeship, or for the pathway which students decide to follow.
There is a wide variety of courses available to study within our Sixth Form, all of which are taught by specialist qualified teachers. Our impressive facilities in our £25 million new building include a dedicated Sixth Form centre, study areas, social spaces and other specialist teaching areas.
In addition to the student’s programme of study, they will be provided with opportunities for enrichment. Students may want to become a member of the Sixth Form Student Council, take part in sporting activities, gain a qualification in First Aid, become a prefect, volunteer to support younger students or join us on one of our international visits such as New York in 2016.
Our aim is quite simply to help our students to achieve success and point them in the right direction for prosperous future careers. If you’d like to make an appointment to come and see the Academy and the things we can offer, we would be delighted to welcome you!
What we can offer you
- A-levels in:
- Maths, English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, Geography, Sociology, Law, Business, Art, Media Studies, Music and Product Design
- Sport, Childcare, Applied Science, Engineering, Health and Social Care, Performing Arts, Catering and Hairdressing
- 2016 value added figures significantly above national averages in A-level and vocational subjects.
- A sixth form that promotes Learning for Life, Securing Success.
- A traditional school based Sixth Form that inspires, challenges and supports students to do their best.
- Personal tutor support.
- A dedicated Sixth Form centre.
- International trips and visits, e.g. South Africa and New York.
- A range of masterclasses in different subjects.
- Sporting opportunities.
- SWB Academy’s personal Careers Education and Guidance advisor.
- A Sixth Form leadership programme.
- High quality, cutting edge 21st century learning spaces, including facilities to support Engineering, Science, Sport, Drama and Music.
- Sixth Form Work Experience programme.
Sixth Form Admissions
SWB Sixth Form expects all students studying at level 3 to have achieved at least 5 or more good passes at GCSE including; a B grade, or equivalent, in their area of study. Please note that individual subjects may carry additional entry requirements, these are available from the Academy.
All Sixth Form applications undertake an interview at the Academy which will include a discussion around future goals and aspirations to ensure that programmes of study meet individual needs.
All students wishing to apply to SWB Academy Sixth Form must do so by completing the SWB Academy Sixth Form Application Form and returning it to the Academy.