Pre-employment Support

Do you need additional support?

There are many different sources of further help and support if you're interested in the building trade.

Talent Match

Talent Match

You must be 18 to 24 years

For those out of work, training or education for at least 12 months and require additional support to overcome barriers. Pre-employment support and work placements in construction. Find out more about Black Country Talent Match .


Youth Employment Initiative (YEI)

Black Country Impact

Black Country Impact

You must be 16 to 29 years

Offers the following:

  • Guidance and training to support you to progress into employment
  • Apprenticeships, functional skills qualifications or Traineeships

Find out more: Black Country Impact Facebook page.


Wolverhampton Homes

Wolverhampton Homes

Aged 15-29 and looking for support to get a job, educational opportunities or routes into training to develop the skills you need for a brighter future?

Through specialised services ranging from coaching to managed work placements, Wolverhampton Homes gives young adults the best employability prospects for the future, benefitting them and their community.

Contact details:

Oliver Herrmann
Skills & Enterprise Manager
Wolverhampton Homes
Tarmac Road
Bilston
WV4 6JW
Tel: 01902 550144
Email: Oliver.Herrmann@wolverhamptonhomes.org.uk


Jobchange

Jobchange

Job Change has been helping local people back into work, into better jobs and turning their lives around since the early 1980s. All of their services are completely free.

Jobchange offers variety of courses and training which can help in starting a new career, such as:

  • CSCS Card course
  • Food Safety course
  • Universal Jobmatch support
  • Learn my way (IT course)

At Jobchange you can:

  • improve your CV;
  • get a piece of advice on changing career;
  • prepare yourself before an important interview;
  • receive help in filling application forms;
  • search for your dream job;
  • receive support and guidance if you are a lone parent;
  • get advice on benefits, housing, debt or employment law issues.

Who to contact

Jobchange Wolverhampton
10 Red Lion Street
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
WV1 4HL
Telephone: 01902 714224
E-mail: info@jobchange2007.com
Website: www.jobchange2007.com/


West Midlands Construction UTC

West Midlands Construction UTC

The West Midlands Construction UTC is a University Technical College looking for the designers, builders and innovators of the future. It is for students from Year 10 to Year 12

Curriculum

Years 10 and 11 – a combination of academic and technical learning

Students gain up to nine GCSEs and three technical awards. Young people at 14 will study GCSEs for 60% of their timetable. For the remaining 40% they’ll be working with local employers on technical projects using industry standard equipment within our Design, Build and Innovate programmes.

Years 12 and 13 – technical qualifications combined with A Levels

Students will gain up to four A Levels and a technical extended diploma. Young people at 16 will select Design, Build or Innovate pathways for 60% of their timetable. For Level 3 students this will include some core Mathematics and an extended project. For the remainder of the timetable they will select from a number of additional A Levels. Exceptional students could achieve the equivalent of up to six A Levels! Level 2 students will improve their GCSE grades in English Language and Mathematics if they need to, and supplement this with Level 2 technical qualifications in design, construction and digital fields.

Enrichment Activities

Students will take part in enrichment activities that encourage interests beyond the normal WMCUTC curriculum – this can include sport and outdoor activities, voluntary and charity work, art, music and creative activities, and can also include projects and school competitions.

Partner Companies

Working with a number of partners that sponsor technical projects, develop curriculum, support work experience and act as mentors including Carillion, Redbrow, Lovell Partnerships limited, Barratt Homes, Wilmot Dixon, Morgan Sindall, Taylor Wimpey, Thomas Vale, Interserve etc.

Progression Routes

Students completing studies at West Midlands UTC progress into employment, apprenticeships and further education.

Find out more by visiting The Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) website. Visit Go Construct to see all the career profiles in the construction industry.

Sign up