Sign up

Young People and Students

Your pathway into care...

If you are at school or thinking of going to college and you would like a career in care then there are a range of qualifications and pathways available to you. Below we have tried to capture the main ones but your school or college may offer a variation to these.

Complete the Question of Care questionnaire to see if you are suited to care and visit the Careers into Care jigsaw.

Work experience is a great way of getting experience of working in care and also show an employer your potential. Here you can find a guide for finding good work experience. Find out more about work experience.

If you are thinking about studying Health and Social care after you leave school, you will need to complete your key subjects such as English, Maths and Science at school before applying for further and higher education. There are also additional subjects available to you at GCSE or BTEC level which may increase your chances of being accepted onto a level 3 or 4 course or successfully starting a paid position. Here you can see what courses are being offered locally for 16-18 year-olds. Find out more about qualifications.

On-the-job training where you can gain experience with an employer, get paid, and gain a qualification. Each year there can be up to 800 apprenticeships available in care in Wolverhampton. Find out more about apprenticeships.

There are many entry level positions available where you will not be required to take on academic study and more opportunities for employment are likely to become available to you after you are 18.


Visit the Careers into Care jigsaw, it will provide an insight into care roles, the types of services requiring care, where you are likely to work and variety of employers. A "Question of Care" is a short online questionnaire which can help you determine if Career in Care is right for you?

The Wolverhampton Education Business Partnership (EBP) have an on-line a database of companies who are willing to offer work experience placements. Your Work Experience Co-ordinator at your school or college can provide you access to this. For ‘Your practical guide to finding a work experience placement’

  • BTEC First, Extended Certificate and Diploma in Health and Social: is from entry level to level 2. It is an introduction to work in a vocational sector. It can help you take your first steps towards a career caring for people and communities. You’ll learn the essential skills needed to support people with a wide range of needs, from babies and toddlers to adults and the elderly.
  • BTEC National Diploma in Health and Social: is a Level 3 (similar standard to A levels). Both the diploma and national qualification can lead to higher level study in health and social care, allow you go to university or go straight into work or take on an apprenticeship. This course will prepare you for work in health and social care by focusing on practical, work-related skills.
  • Cambridge Nationals in Health and Social Care are targeted at 14-19 year olds in schools, it is a vocationally-related qualification and can be studied at Award, Certificate and Diploma, with the Certificate being the same size as a GCSE. The Level 3 qualifications has UCAS points, supporting progression to HE.
  • GCE Health and Social Care: offers both Single and Double Awards, with a qualification in GCE Health and Social Care, students can go on to degree-level study in a variety of subjects such as health studies, social policy, social science, social studies, psychology, nursing and/or social work. Other students go on to complete a BTEC Diploma in Health and Social Care, some students go straight into employment in the fields of health and social care.

To gain a further understanding of the qualifications and where they can lead, speak to careers advisor at your school. Here you can see which school offers the qualification of choice.